Frequently Asked Questions Website Design Questions
1. How do I choose a website vendor?Choosing a website company can be difficult because there are so many options. First consider if you need a professional website company or a design or marketing agency. If you are planning to do some of the work yourself, you likely don’t need either.
If you have decided to use a web design firm, we recommend that you select a few based on referrals and/or samples of their web design work. Have a conversation with your top choices. These selected companies should be based on referrals and/or samples of their web design work. A trustworthy company will be happy to show samples, provide references, and give examples of similar projects to yours.
Tip: Be aware of the service you receive when starting the bidding process. How quickly do they return your calls or initial email of interest? Are they friendly and help explain options? Are they willing to listen to your needs and goals?Contact TBH Creative if you’re looking for a high-end website solution for your business. We welcome the chance to impress you right from the beginning.
2. I’m no design expert. What do I look for when I’m reviewing design work?Simply put, you should look for something you like. It doesn’t have to be in the same industry, but it should have a professional style and quality that you want for your website. Do not choose a company whose samples of work you don’t like because you will likely receive something very similar in quality and style.
Contact TBH Creative and ask to see our work—or take a look right now. We welcome the chance to impress you right from the beginning.
3. How much does a website cost?A freelancer versus a full service web company will offer significantly different prices – and also very different results. The first thing to do is figure out what you really need and define your online plan. We understand that everyone wants to know numbers and pricing is a realistic question to ask. Remember that all projects and clients are different, but our guidelines will give you a fairly accurate idea.
Read more about How much will a new website cost?
4. When will my website be done? How long will the project take?For TBH Creative, this question will vary based on your project size, our current project pipeline, and a few things on your end as well. Sometimes the biggest hold-up in a project is on the client’s end as they draft content or linger over approvals. As a general idea, a small website (10-15 pages) can be completed in 2 months. A medium website in 2-4 months. A large website can be anywhere from 3-9 months.
Remember, we recommend a phased approach and continual web services throughout the year for maximum effectiveness. Overall, we are pretty flexible to meet your deadlines if they are realistic and you have your ‘stuff’ ready to go.
Contact TBH Creative to get your timeline started.
5. My website is not found in search engines. How can I change this? What is Search Engine Optimization?Clients often say, “I want to show up higher on the list in Google.” Our response: “For which phrase or keywords?” A question often answered with: “I have no idea.”
If you want to rank in search engines, the starting point is to determine for what terms you want to be found. Our search experts can help determine if those are smart targeted keywords, worth your dollars for ROI, and often give suggestions for better targets.
Search engine optimization (SEO) is a process to increase visitors to a website by ensuring that the site appears high on the list of results returned by a search engine. SEO should be done separately from the initial website design project – although a quality firm will do internal optimization during web development and keep SEO always in mind. SEO requires an ongoing effort to beat the competition and stay on top of the search engine changes. Remember, you aren’t the only one who wants to be on top!
Learn more about our search engine optimization services.
6. Do I need a blog? What about Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+?Social media can be a powerful online marketing tool. Used correctly, social media can:
- Increase your search engine recognition and ranking.
- Build authority and raise awareness of your expertise
- Impact your public image and attract new customers, supporters, or sales.
- Serve as a platform to inform about your services, products or cause.
- Drive new business, promote events, and answer industry questions.
- Grow company connections and morale through competitions or staff spotlight segments.
- Distribute audio, video, forms, survey, and other interactive ideas.
Learn more about our social media services.
7. How can I make updates to my web pages? What is CMS?There are essentially two primary ways to make changes, additions, and updates to your web pages.
If your website is fairly “static” (doesn’t change often and not connected to a database), you will contact your website developer to make changes. If you are the technical and/or DIY type, you will need to purchase and learn how to use basic web editing software such as Dreamweaver or Frontpage to make changes and load to a web server using FTP.
If your website changes often and has been set up with dynamic capabilities, you will use CMS software to update your website. A Content Management System (known as “CMS”) is online software that allows your staff to maintain your website pages in-house without technical expertise or knowledge of HTML. You log in, choose a page, make changes in a WYSIWYG (What You See IsWhat You Get) editor, and save. Changes and additions can be made at any time, immediately, and without desktop software.
Learn more about our flexible and powerful content management system.
8. How will I know that my site is successful?Building a website is really just the first step. Evaluation, testing and planning are an ongoing effort. It is important to understand that web strategy is integral in your online success.
It is no longer the days where if you build it, they will come. That’s okay though, there is so much more available now and we thrive on giving our clients the advantage. Our Site Success Manager is a good place to start.
Learn more about our results driven online strategy services.
9. Can someone help with writing content for my web pages?Absolutely. In fact, we strongly recommend you receive professional help writing or editing your web page content. Why?
- Writing web page content is a HUGE job. Many of our projects are put ‘on hold’ while a company tries to write the information themselves. Oftentimes, ending with our expert editors stepping in afterwards.
- Online Communication is not like writing in any other medium – because people read quicker and scan online. It is a learned skill to write effective messages for the web.
- There are a lot of technical things to consider that a professional writer can offer, such as inserting keywords, defining title, inserting appropriate on-page links, and using search-worthy headlines.
- Many companies have different people from the company write different pages. This leads to poor flow and unprofessional messages. Your pages should all have the same style and tone.
- Trained writers are clever and witty. Not that you aren’t, but these guys do it for a living.
- An experienced writer will always keep your goals and audience in mind and can craft inviting Call To Action areas that will help your conversion/success.
Learn more about our web page writing and editing services.
10. Do I need a mobile site?The percentage of people accessing the Internet via smart phone or tablet increases every month. Pull up your website on your phone. How does it look? Is it easy to read? Is it fully functional? There are a few different ways to tackle a mobile solution and TBH Creative is ready whether you want a mobile design or a full responsive design.
Learn more about our mobile solutions.
11. Can you help me make sense of web statistics and analytics?You don’t have to be a numbers geek to understand the importance of measuring traffic and audience behavior. We have access to a variety of tools to help you stay on top of your website and take advantage of its inherent flexibility. We’ll sort through the data for you and give you sound recommendations.
Learn more about our analytic reporting services.
12. I don’t just want a website. I need an online application, can you do that?Yes! TBH Creative is a full service web design and development firm. We can handle all aspects of a website project from strategy to design, from application development to content writing, from online marketing to mobile solutions and more. We’d love to hear your needs and plans and determine the smartest way to accomplish your goals.
Contact TBH Creative to get the discussion started.