- Feature-Rich: customized through simple, browser-based tools (called modules)
- Leading-Edge: technologies like ASP.NET, Visual Studio, SQL Server, Windows Server, and IIS
- Flexible: supports multiple web sites from a single application
- Localized: Multi-language localization to easily translate
- Easy to Install
- Easy to Use
- Won’t load jQuery plugins
- Failure to revalidate file and folder permissions correctly for uploads
- Easily hacked
- It is rather intense to implement (interesting, considering they suggest one of its benefits as ‘easy to install’)
- The application takes up a lot of server resources
- Figuring it all out has a steep learning curve (typical for most CMS, but I wouldn’t advise anyone to start on the web with DNN)
- Documentation that hasn’t been updated for almost three years
|Duke Nukem NOT related to Dot Net Nuke|
- Segway Italy
- AFL (Australian Football League) one of the most trafficked sites built by DNN
- our very own Exact Target from Indianapolis, Indiana (not their main site)
On a separate note, I did contact DotNetNuke to ask if they had a live demo, like Umbraco and ExpressionEngine, that allowed the customer to see what the inside of system looks like and how it works. The response was that I could either install and set up a trail, or I could watch this webinar (which is over 50 minutes long). Although the video is not the greatest marketing piece or attractive sales pitch, I learned about some features that were not advertised on their site.
I also asked them if they could answer a few questions for us, but they gave back vague answers which was disappointing. I told them I was posting a blog about it, so I decided to show the exact questions and answers below.
- What specifically makes your system better than other CMS system available?
DNN rep: It is very extensible, very widely deployed around the world and we have a large marketplace of third party extensions, snowcovered.com.
- How would you rate the learning curve for setting up and configuring a site with DotNetNuke?
DNN rep: Not too bad, after DNN is installed, it is geared for the Non-Technical user.
[ Some of the users linked above thought otherwise. ]
- What are the most common complaints that you receive about the software?
DNN rep: Don’t know.
- Can you provide some of the best or most well-known companies or websites using the software?
DNN rep: I have attached a PowerPoint slide with some URLs.
[ I listed a few of these above. ]
- What are your most well-received modules?
DNN rep: They are all well received.
[ With very little review, we identified one of their coolest features in our first statement above! Seems odd they couldn’t brag about a few things… ‘Everything is perfect and wonderful’ is a very lame response. ]
TBH Creative has their own custom developed CMS developed on the Windows platform using ASPX and MS SQL. We continue to upgrade our system to model the very best features of the CMS systems out there today. We are a web design company in Indianapolis, Indiana, and we love helping businesses achieve their online success.
Subscribe to our marketing blog for free resources