- Put your web site address in the signature of your emails. This way every email you send is a small advertisement with link to your web site. This applies to any other marketing you do including business cards, flyers, magazine ads, etc. Surprisingly, many companies pay big money for an advertisement in a magazine and forget to include their web site.
- Define your keywords and use them in your page content. What will visitors be searching for to find you? Determine these ‘keywords’ and adjust your page verbiage to include these words. Do not overuse them or ‘stuff’ them on the pages, but use them as they flow with your message.
- Get started with social networking. Social networking is free and easy. It’s a free promotion for yourself. Link to your web site and tell about your speciality or service. A few good networks to get started are LinkedIn, Plaxo, Facebook, Smaller Indiana, and Twitter. More information about Facebook Marketing.
- Add a title to your web site and each page if appropriate. Google will search your web site and read your title for relevancy against the keywords being searched by users. Note: The “TITLE” is what appears at the very top of your browser window. For this blog, the title is “TBH Creative Blog – Indianapolis Web Design”
- Submit your site to search engines. This is easy and takes just a few minutes. Many submissions are free and will help your site to come up in search results.
- Code your web site with Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) for layout. Table based layout is an old technique and should be updated to CSS layout. CSS layout offers cleaner code which is quicker and easier for Google to search, faster load time, and makes for easier edits. Learn more about table vs. CSS layout and the advantages.
If you build it, they will come. This is NOT correct in regards to a web site. Consider the millions of web sites on the Internet that you are competing with… Don’t be discouraged, there are many things you can do to increase your hits and visitors. I’m going to give a few suggestions here and start by offering a few things you can do for free.
Subscribe to our monthly email with marketing news and tips from the TBH Creative team.