If you’re looking to interact with your community or just gain more followers on Facebook, hosting a contest is a great way to get started. Being one of the most popular social networks and a channel that’s popular with a wide range of demographics, it’s easy for any company to gain traction through a Facebook contest—and, it’s pretty simple tactic, too.
How do you get started? Good question. Follow these simple steps, and you’ll be on your way to increasing your business’ brand awareness, gaining followers, and starting discussions with customers, both current and potential. Let’s get started.
Some examples of goals include:
- Increasing brand awareness
- Adding Facebook likes and/or interactions
- Collecting email addresses
- Crowdsourcing for ideas and/or publicity for new production or service
- Increasing traffic to the website
2Choose a prize
3Decide on the type of contest/campaign you want to run
Giveaways/sweepstakesIf this is your first rodeo, you’ll want to start with a giveaway. This technique is a sure-fire way to increase engagement and collect user-generated content (depending on how you format your contest). First, you’ll want to determine how you want the user to engage in the contest, some easy entry ideas include:
- Liking or commenting on the post about your promotion
- Use a hashtag on your picture
Photo/caption contestsWhen looking to spice up your marketing or ideas for your newest campaign, a photo or caption contest is sure to get you some motivated responses and free user-generated content. Components of this type of contest include:
- Commenting on the promotion with a picture and/or a comment
- Uploading a picture involving the company, product, location, or prize in action
- Getting the most likes on a submitted photo
- Choosing a winner’s photo at random
- Writing the best caption for the photo provided
4Determine logistics and rules
✔️ You can ask users to:
- Like or comment on a post
- Like other comments on the post
- Post to your page’s timeline
- Message the page
❌ You cannot ask users to:
- Share one or more of your posts
- Post the page on a friend’s timeline
- Tag people in posts
- Change their cover photo
- Like your Facebook page
You will also need to define the logistics of your promotion. Include these details as part of your social media post about the promotion:
- Who is eligible to enter
- How users can enter the promotion
- A description of the prize
- How a winner will be selected
- How prizes will be distributed
- A timeline of key dates of when (1) entries open and close, (2) when a winner will be chosen, and (3) when prizes will be distributed.
5Develop and post!
Once you have posted the contest doesn’t end there. Be sure to promote your Facebook contest and notify the winner and everyone who has entered once your contest has come to a close.
There you have it. You’re now on your way to creating an engaging, exciting, and effective Facebook contest for your business.
How we can help you get more from your marketing? Let’s talk
You might also like …