Optimizing your website to load and function as quickly as possible will help you to avoid frustrating or losing potential customers. While there are a variety of ways to improve the speed of your website, here are six methods to get you started.
1. Evaluate the speed of your websiteBefore determining how to improve the speed of your website, you need to know where you’re starting out and identify areas of improvement. There are a variety of tools out there to help you assess your loading times and how to best speed up your website. Here are a few resources to check out:
2. Optimize imagesWhile images play an important role in the effectiveness of a website, they are also a major contributor to the loading time of a website. Therefore, it’s crucial that all images are properly formatted and optimized to load as quickly as possible. You can learn more about how to optimize images in our post about optimizing images.
3. Keep pages simple and focusedThe more content on a page, the longer it will take to load, especially if a page is graphic-heavy. Evaluate and remove any unnecessary content from your pages to improve loading time. Most pages of a website can be simplified to include the most relevant information and a clear call to action, which will result in not only a faster page, but a more effective page.
4. Optimize styles and scriptsIf your website includes a large amount of stylesheet and script files, this can contribute to slower page speeds. Optimize and minify these files in order to minimize the amount of loading time they add on to your website. Learn more about minifying resources.
6. Use caching when possibleWhen you visit a website, your browser downloads all the associated files in order to display the webpage. If caching is enabled on a website, it allows your browser to store some of those files locally, which helps to reduce loading time for future visits to the website. TBH Creative uses caching on our sites in order to speed up loading times and improve the user experience. Learn more about browser caching.
Learn more about website speed optimization:
- A Beginner’s Guide to Website Speed Optimization
- How to optimize your website for speed, and why you still should
- Google’s Make the Web Faster